Saturday, October 29, 2011

Gefilte Fish


The mother of one of my students invited me to her home for Shabbat dinner. As the six year old son passed the gefilte fish across the table to his grandma, I realized that somehow, in this Christian nation, I have felt as – if not more – connected to my Jewish roots than living in New Jersey or New York, where are there are more Jews than anywhere in the world, second only to Israel. How is this possible?

First, let’s look at Costa Rica’s relationship with Israel. Costa Rica was the first country to establish their embassy in Jerusalem, unlike most countries, where their embassies are in Tel Aviv so as not to offend the Palestinians’ claim on the religious city. This is a statement in itself and it stems from a very unique commonality between two nations – they are (or were) the only democracies in a region surrounded by military regimes.

What role do Jews play in Costa Rica? Well, there’s Luis Liberman Ginsburg. Who? He’s only the vice president of Costa Rica.

This country is a hospitable country to foreigners, making Costa Rica a place where Jews cannot only practice their religion, but thrive in an active Jewish community and in the community at large. Part of the reason that I’ve felt a strong connection to Judaism here is because it’s something I’m familiar with in an unfamiliar land. But I believe that it’s more than that. It stems from the fact that the Jewish community here is not only successful, but is very tight-knit. It seems like Jews here do not marry outside their faith: in every Jewish gathering I’ve attended, there has also been someone playing the matchmaker. Also the day after I informed my student that I was Jewish, he handed me his cell phone, saying, “it’s my mom”, and she extended an invitation to her home for Shabbat dinner. Would that have happened in New Jersey? Probably not. Not when there are 500,000 Jews as compared to 3500.

Yet it’s more than sheer numbers. In Japan, where there are 2000 Jews, I didn’t find the Jewish community to be as welcoming nor as active as in Costa Rica. This may be in part because the Costa Rican Jews have a rich history. Most of the oldest Jews here immigrated in the 20s and 30s from the same village – a shtetel in Poland called Yelechov. There are even 200 holocaust survivors in Costa Rica. In the center of San Jose is a statue of Anne Frank (picture above).

The Jewish community here is unlike any other Jewish community I have ever come across in my travels. Despite being accepting to Jews, Costa Rica is still a Christian dominated land, and so it’s unlikely you’ll come across a kosher restaurant or a mikvah. The Jewish community has responded to this by defining its Jewish identity in unique ways, at least from a New Jersey Jew’s perspective. My student’s family is part of the orthodox community here. Having attended Shabbat services on Friday night (as they do every week) at a synagogue where men and women are separate, they returned to the grandmother’s home to meet me for dinner…by car. They then served the vegetarian (that’s me, by the way) cheese lasagna while everyone else ate chicken. They may even be working today - one of my Jewish friends here told me that most Jewish businesses stay open on Shabbat. What I’ve gathered from all this is that there seems to be a distinction here between inside and outside the synagogue.

Judaism is not only a religion, but a culture and a race, a small minority with major success, a people of nearly 6000 years (the oldest existing religion in the world) who have survived countless persecutions. As my student’s family drove me home after Shabbat dinner, I told them that it was nice to be among Jews. “There’s a unique connection among us,” the mother responded, “which nobody else understands.”

No comments:

Post a Comment